Friday, March 2, 2012

Day Nine ~ Food Security

I wonder how many of us woke up this morning wondering if we would be able to eat today?  Probably not.  In fact, reality is, it never crosses our mind.  Do we have food in the house?  Is there something for the kids?  Will I manage to eat today?

We may think, do I need to stop at the store to get milk?  Should I call ahead so I can pick up a pizza on my way home from work?  Or I need to get something out of the freezer so it has time to defrost.

Many people in your own community will wonder if their food source is secure.  They may have enough for today but they need to stretch what they have so it lasts until the end of the month or until Tuesday when the food bank is open.

Today we will hear from Rev. Steve Brown who is the Executive Director of Westside CARES here in Colorado Springs.  The multiple Westside food banks are a major part of this interfaith ministry.

Spend some time thinking about what you would do it you lived in a constant stage of food insecurity.


No comments: