Thursday, December 2, 2010

Gospel of Luke Thursday December 2, 2010

Chapter Five Thursday, December 2, 2010

“It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” Luke 5:31-32

Luke takes great care to introduce you and me to the original followers of Jesus. There is Simon (who will soon become Peter, the Rock) along with his fishing partners, James and John the sons of Zebedee. We will meet more soon. For now think about what it would be like to leave behind your job, your identity, your livelihood for a traveling preacher who simply says, “Come, follow me.”

These were regular people who were making radical decisions. I am glad they were regular folks. If they had been elite socialites, or wealthy business people, or famous athletes…I would have had a really hard time connecting to their journey. I connect better with people who live real lives, have real problems, but still make radical decisions.

I am so glad that Jesus came to restore health to the sick and not to walk among the well. I am blessed to know that he speaks to sinners and not the righteous. For the righteous may not need a savior. And those who are well do not need a physician. As a result, only sinners need apply.

From where I sit, that includes me. I think it also includes you. Am I correct? If so, even to a small degree, I am thankful that Jesus was faithful to his calling because I always find my life in need of the Great Physician.

Lord Jesus, thank you for your faithful walk among the sinners of this world. If you only walked among the righteous, we would miss you. We declare that we need you. Hear our prayer, restore our health. Grant us grace. Amen.

No comments: