Monday, December 20, 2010

Gospel of Luke December 20, 2010

Chapter Twenty-Three Monday, December 20, 2010


Everything we have read from Luke’s greeting to Theophilus until now has been pointing us to the events of this 23rd chapter. (Remember the 23rd Psalm?) I still have difficulty reading this section. I feel the pain and struggle with the outcome. At the same time, I am blessed to know that this is the gift that bought our salvation.

The cross was set. The soldiers mocked. The sign was hung. Then one thief challenged him while the other asked Jesus to remember him. Jesus answered, ‘I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”

Then, it was the sixth hour. Darkness covered the land. The temple veil was torn in two. And Jesus called out, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” He breathed his last. For some, the overwhelming noise of the day was energizing. For others, the incredible silence of the moment was devastating.

I am so thankful that we know the rest of the story.

No comments: