Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Freedom

Psalm 119 is the longest psalm in all of the 15 poetic forms that dwell in the psalter.  It is filled with imagery that shifts and turns with each phrase and poetic device.  But at the heart, it is an acrostic poem that is based on the Hebrew alphabet.  It is shaped around 22 distinctive sections that are intimately connected to each character of the Hebrew alphabet.

The seventh section (Waw) is built around the theme of spiritual freedom that arrives through the doorway of faithful obedience.  It is a declaration of faith and a statement of reverent commitment that flows from the heart of the believer to the page of the psalter.

It was originally intended to be shared in song.  In fact, many monastic traditions still sing it regularly as a part of their worship liturgy.

May your unfailing love come to me, Lord,
    your salvation, according to your promise;
42 then I can answer anyone who taunts me,
    for I trust in your word.
43 Never take your word of truth from my mouth,
    for I have put my hope in your laws.
44 I will always obey your law,
    for ever and ever.
45 I will walk about in freedom,
    for I have sought out your precepts.
46 I will speak of your statutes before kings
    and will not be put to shame,
47 for I delight in your commands
    because I love them.
48 I reach out for your commands, which I love,
    that I may meditate on your decrees.

Check out verse 45!  It is about freedom that we find in relationship with a loving God.  Our obedince, our desire to serve the Lord, our willingness to live by God's design...all are surrounded by the gift of freedom.

Our own history of seeking freedom brought about some words that continue to shape us as people who love freedom and would do all that we can to maintain it.  It is our desire to be one nation under God.

 We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
 

No comments: