Wednesday, June 3, 2009

On The Road to Wisdom?

OK, I have a confession to make. No, not that kind of confession. I need to confess that this is a really strange world and that unusual things have been happening. I am guessing you could make the same confession on some Sunday morning when you are trying to get the kids ready for church or when you are applying the brake while a red light flashes in your rear view mirror. Strange things happen.

For me, the heart of the confession has to do with wisdom. The Book of Proverbs draws a strong focus on the nature of wisdom. "Wisdom calls aloud in the streets...how long will you simple ones love your simple ways?" (Proverbs 1:21-22 condensed). Wisdom has do do with complex things, mysteries, relationships, and knowing the heart of God. Sometime we catch a glimpse of grace and in that moment we grow in our understanding of Godly wisdom. The pursuit of Godly wisdom becomes a potent goal for the individual and for the Christan community gathered as the Body of Christ.

But my wisdom story is a bit different. You see, in late may my lower right wisdom tooth started to talk to me. You know the story. It talks loud, then soft, but mostly at night. I went to the friendly local dentist who knew that I was getting ready to pack a truck and make a cross country move. He said, 'wow, that should come out!' But there was no time so he gave me some meds, offered a blessing, and sent me on my way.

By the time we were driving 1200 miles from Wilmore to Colorado Springs...it was a talking, no it was providing a running commentary on the nature of temptation. The pain was like trying to give a Great Dane a bath in the kitchen sink...it is bearable but it always leaves a huge mess, lots of anxiety and a few choice words. Thank God I was driving alone!

Bottom line, I finally got an appointment with an oral surgeon and as of 1:00 today I am now short two lower wisdom teeth. The pain is now different but it is still a reminder that there is much more to wisdom than just knowing the right thing to do. Wisdom is about patience, a loving family, and people who are skilled at a wide variety of skills.

Back to Proverbs--- Chapter two reminds us that the Lord loves wisdom. The Lord especially loves those who love wisdom. The Lord loves us all but there is a special relationship that begins to grow with new insights into the nature of wisdom. "Then you will understand what is right and just and fair - every good path. For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul." Proverbs 2:9-10

I am still learning about Godly wisdom. I am grateful that the Lord used the skilled hands of an oral surgeon to teach me patience. More so I am eternally thankful for a wonderful family who demonstrated grace upon grace. They are my teachers and I am doing my best to learn.

I pray that the Lord is teaching you something new today as you walk the path of faith and continue your journey of hope.

No comments: