Sunday, September 12, 2010
Personal Rule of Life
For those thinking about how a personal "Rule of Life" might impact their journey of faith...I share my Rule. I call it a Personal Spiritual Growth Plan. It becomes my 'trellis' upon which my life can grow, reach the Son, and find freedom. Some features of this plan are being fulfilled as we speak. Other areas are designed for stretching. Still others represent places where my journey has not been fulfilled. We are all on a journey and we all need a trellis to help us grow.
Personal Spiritual Growth Plan
1. Morning prayer and meditation seeking God’s will for my personal and professional life.
2. Daily prayer for family, staff, lay leadership, and general intercession.
3. Daily study of the Scriptures that are outside teaching and preaching responsibilities.
4. Read through the New Testament each month.
5. Be obedient to the hours.
1. Seek increased ways to simplify life style in accordance with the Gospel.
2. Set aside specific time of solitude outside designated time for personal prayer.
3. Continue serving through Walk to Emmaus and Kairos Prison Ministry.
4. Continue to support mission ministry in Romania, Kenya, and locally.
1. Commit to regular worship in settings outside Wilson United Methodist Church.
2. Meet monthly with discernment group for support and accountability.
Continuing Education Goals
1. Participate in at least one major conference related to congregational life, preaching or leadership.
2. Participate in the August Leadership Summit.
3. Create a continuing education event for pastors and lay leaders in the area.
4. Read at least one new book each week related to leadership, spiritual formation, church development, stewardship, or vision.
• Global Hope Leadership role
• Board of Ordained Ministry
• Availability for relational conversations
• Asbury community through teaching, dissertation mentor, stewardship