Thursday, July 29, 2010

Intentional Prayer Process


My friend Steve Beard is a strong Wesleyan Christian who has become a maker of Roman Catholic prayer beads. He got his first crucifix in Rome while visiting the Vatican. One thing led to another and he became a crucifix maker with a specific focus on developing a system of prayer and spiritual formation that might connect with non-believers. I know it sounds strange, but it works! Ask me (or better yet, ask Steve) about the various dynamics some day.

Steve got me to thinking. I have always been interested in prayer systems that help Christians to stay on task and to go deeper with God. Thus, I too (but not to the intricate or artistic degree as Steve) became a bead maker. You see my first effort in the photo above.

A set of simple beads modeled after the Anglican beads that are often used for personal prayer. 33 beads in total to represent the individual years in the life of Jesus. A cross to provide a grounding and starting point that is connected to the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. An 'introductory' larger bead that launches the sequence of prayer. Four larger beads around the circumference to serve as a reminder in the shape of the cross.

Then there are the seven beads (sometimes referred to as weeks...get it, 7 days = a week...I only mention that because it took me a little while to catch on).

For those who might be interested, here is the sequence that works best for me:

While holding the cross, open with the Lord's Prayer as a way of centering your heart, mind and spirit. Then move to the introductory bead to recite the Apostles' Creed as a way of connecting to Christian doctrine and history.

Next comes the bottom of the four beads that make up the form of the cross. Here I would recite (silently or quietly) the Gospel of John 1:1-5 along with verse 14. Check it out.

Each small bead of the seven week sequence calls for a simple breath prayer that connects us back to the center of Jesus in our lives. "Lord Jesus, have mercy upon me." The weeks can also be used to focus on the intercessory needs of others as you one-by-one move around the circle of faith.

The remaining three larger beads in the cruciform circle are connected to the (1) John Wesley Covenant Prayer, (2) the prayer of St Francis, and (3) my favorite verse from Ephesians 4:11-13 with a strong request for the Body of Christ to be built up.

Strange huh? Let me know, I will build a set for you. Peace!

1 comment:

MorĂ´ni Azevedo de Vasconcellos" said...

I´m Anglican (Associate Franciscan) from Brazil and personaly i´m a admirer of Jonh Wesley and I loved this Anglican rosary/chaplet prayer. Here We have some prayers to the Anglican Rosary if you want I can translate to the English.

Pax et Bonum