Monday, September 3, 2012

A Step in the Next Direction

I was walking to the church the other day when I discovered that I was silently and inadvertently counting my foot steps.  What a strange thing to do.  Then I thought about the hill that goes up Flying Ranch Road.  Every time I climbed it on my bike, I would count to 100 over and over with each turn of the pedal.

Highway 24 on the way to Limon has another one of those 'counting' hills.  It is just outside of Matheson as you elevate to the real high plains.  It too requires a 'count' to 100 technique to keep me on task.  So counting my footsteps shouldn't be so unusual.

Footsteps are interesting.  They get us from one place to the next, they demonstrate our desire to move forward, and they go forward much easier than they go backward.  The life of a Chritian happens one step at a time.  Some run, others tend to stand still, but true faith is always lived out on the move.

I mentioned that each year I evaluate my 'next steps' for my journey of faith.  I take time each January to evaluate, update, and renew my commitment to growth.  Here is my 'next steps' plan for 2012:


Personal Rule of Life
Randy Jessen
2012

 Inward Disciplines

1.         Morning prayer and meditation seeking God’s will for my personal and professional life.
2.         Daily prayer for family, staff, lay leadership, and general intercession.
3.         Daily study of the Scriptures that are outside teaching and preaching responsibilities.


Outward Disciplines

1.         Seek increased ways to simplify life style in accordance with the Gospel.
2.         Set aside specific time of solitude outside designated time for personal prayer.
3.         Continue support of Walk to Emmaus.
4.         Work to develop a strong positive missional relationship with the Methodist Church in Costa Rica, Haiti and the Global Hope ministry in Romania


Continuing Education Goals

1.         Participate in at least one major conference on congregational life, preaching or leadership.
2.         Develop time for Gethsemani retreat
3.         Create a continuing education event for pastors and lay leaders related to prayer and spiritual formation.
4.         Read at least one new book each week related to leadership, spiritual formation, church development, stewardship, or vision.


Service Goals

1.         Continue service on the Conference Board of Ordained Ministry
2.         Be available for relational conversations with younger pastors
3.         Support the Asbury community through teaching, creating the Houston event, dissertation mentor, financial stewardship, student support, and student development

           
Personal Goals

1.         Ride at least 1500 bicycle miles on Old Blue in 2012 or new version
2.         Develop and ride at least one significant tour in 2012
3.         Stay in touch with my physical health through indoor / outdoor riding, time at the fitness center, and healthy eating habits


What's next for you?  Are there some footsteps on your horizon?

No comments: